May 16, 2010

Fun With Free Software

I've been dabbling with Google SketchUp for a little bit lately. In a fit of frustration while trying to draw a fairly simple part, I decided to see if I could do something a little more useful, like a rendering of the SSBN658 Sail in Alden Park in time for the presentation to the board.

I didn't make that deadline, or if I did nobody said so... so yesterday I decided to fiddle with the drawing a little more, and so I did. Some of the results are here.


From SOS Graphics


Obviously it needs more work, but considering that the only part I had to construct was the cannon stand, I'm mightily impressed. That's right, all the objects in that drawing are available from within the software!

If you follow the link to the gallery, there's a short AVI video, also made in SketchUp. Also mighty impressive from free software.

No comments:

Post a Comment